Hypnosis can be used during pregnancy. In fact, hypnosis helps women to be calm and relaxed during labor, resulting in a comfortable birth. Hypnosis benefits the baby as well. Studies show that babies born to mothers who used hypnosis during pregnancy and labor, sleep better. According to Kerry Tuschhoff, founder of HypnoBabies program, thousands of women were able to give completely pain-free births with the help of hypnosis.
The process of hypnosis helps a person to concentrate intensely on a specific memory or thought while blocking out other sources of distraction. How this helps in childbirth is that a woman can concentrate on a happy image or thought while blocking out the fear and anxiety about the labor. Of course, this cannot be done without practice. Hypnotherapy during pregnancy prepares women to achieve this.
A pregnant woman can obviously be anxious about childbirth. Fear and worry will only escalate as the due date nears. When you are afraid, your nervous system produces adrenalin which causes the muscles to tighten. Tightening of the cervix in a pregnant woman will interfere with the birthing process. Furthermore, adrenaline can react with other hormones produced during labor causing the body to slow down. So it vital for a woman to be calm during labor. Hypnotherapy works by training your mind to be rid of any negative thoughts and expect a safe, comfortable and gentle birth. A hypnotherapist will work with you and create a program that suits you during childbirth. The program may involve breathing techniques, visualizations, deep relaxation, and self-hypnosis.
Self-hypnosis techniques will be taught to you by your hypnotherapist during your hypnotherapy sessions. You will have to practice it throughout your pregnancy period. Following are the two self-hypnosis techniques.
- Dissociation – This technique helps your brain to be in a trance, block out uncomfortable and fearful thoughts or images and concentrate on positive thoughts or images.
- Positive suggestions and creative visualization – You can use your imagination to create a mental picture of a perfect birth. Rehearsing this over and over again will project it as a reality in your mind. This will help you to keep calm as the due date approaches.
Following are the benefits of hypnosis.
- Reduced labor time
- Less fatigue during and after birth
- Less post-natal recovery time
- Reduced risk of intervention
- Helps with the discomforts during pregnancy
- Helps increase oxygen level in mother and baby
Hypnosis can be combined with Reiki for a positive childbirth experience.